Friday, August 7, 2009

To be, or not to be...a real "Soccer mom"

Today, I had my first audition for a national print ad -- Frito-Lay. Truly, I was "too excited to sleep" last night. :) I only had a day to prepare, so my biggest stress (besides picking out the right shirt to wear) was making sure my kids were taken care of while I made the trek up to Chicago. Many, many thanks to my wonderful neighbors who pitched in and let my kids hang out an their houses this afternoon. :) :)

Okay, so it took me 3-1/2 hours to get to Chicago (the longest it has EVER taken in my life). It's usually a 2 hour, 10 minute drive, but there was construction just south of Merrilville that added an extra 20 minutes, and then for some reason, traffic into Chicago from the Lake Shore Drive exit on I-90/94 was going (and I use this term loosely) at a crisp 2-3 miles per hour. It took me 45 minutes to get from there to the downtown exit I needed (typically about a 15 minute drive).

So after a couple of calls to my agent updating her to my progress and asking her to tell the studio I was going to be late, I finally arrived 15 minutes before the casting call was to end (at 4:00 their time). Luckily, there were still quite a few people left to go, so I was in good shape.

That being said, it was a very educational experience for me. I was told by my agent to look like a "soccer mom". I asked her if I were to be more upscale or more real, and she said definitely leaning more toward real soccer mom.

So I show up in a casual blue cotton shirt and regular jeans and sneakers - very "real" mom (except that I did have my hair down and curled and make-up on...;p). Well, the other mom-types who were there tonight were much more "polished" -- cute tops, tight jeans, strappy sandals... So I don't know if I were misinformed, or if the others just overdressed slightly.

This was the first national print job I've ever auditioned for, so I really didn't know what to expect. After entering the photographer's studio, I filled out my paperwork with my name, agent, phone number, sizes, etc. and then I got to watch the several other people who were in front of me (which was very helpful).

Each person got five pictures taken: 1) smiling "mugshot" which is a headshot with me holding up the paper with all my info under my face to easily identify me, 2) full-length casual pose, 3) side pose, 4) picture of me walking away from the camera (to get my backside), and 5) throwing a pretend frisbee (to show action and excitement).

Well, it became clear to me that I need to practice my "modeling" poses. I think I did pretty well with all of them except the frisbee one. I only say this because the photographer said the typical "great" or "nice" after each shot until after the frisbee one. He said, "okay", in that drawn out "I'm not really sure what you just did right there" kind of way. It almost made me laugh.

I had watched the other couple of moms before me and they threw the frisbee like they were throwing it to a really tall guy on a ladder (lots of extension and long, lean lines with their body poses). In true "me" form, I decided to throw a frisbee like a real mom who was throwing it to her child (who is, in actuality, shorter than I am). So no long, lean lines for me. I was a "real" mom in all my "normal-sized" glory. ;) ;)

So we'll see. It will all depend on what they are really looking for. They'll have my pics from today, and my comp card with my "pretty" pics to peruse. If anything, I will be better prepared for the next audition. :) With any luck (okay, an inordinate amount of luck), you may just see me on a billboard somewhere... hehehehe...

No comments:

Post a Comment